Thursday, July 3, 2014

I don't like events (and why that doesn't matter at all)


Events. Yuck.

I don’t like recommending them. I don’t like managing them. I don’t even like attending them (except Content Marketing World, of course). But none of that matters, because I don’t matter — I’m not the target audience.

I believe a lot of marketers, perhaps unintentionally, apply their own filters to the tactics they recommend for brands: ‘Hmm, let’s see, what would I like?’

Wrong.

It may seem unavoidable to add your own preferences, but it’s not. We all just need to remember that it’s not about us. It’s about the audience (and the audience is rarely us).

So, to pay some penance for lo these many years of event-hating, I’ve captured three reasons why you may want to include live events in your next marketing plan.

1. Live events continue to rank highly with consumers as one of the best ways to learn about you and your brand. Experiences, like events, are becoming more and more important as people continue to be bombarded with digital brand messages.

2. It’s a sensory experience. People can touch, smell, see and even use your product at an event. You can’t get that from an online demo or webinar. As efficient as technology allows us to be today, there’s just something about interacting with a brands product or service that can’t be replicated, especially for large/expensive purchases like cars and equipment.

3. Events let you be you. Perhaps like nothing else, events allow a brand’s personality shine through as your own people (and please, involve your own people at shows) can demonstrate your brand’s style, not just your products. It’s even a great way to recruit new people!

So, the next time you’re asked to recommend a marketing tactic for your brand or the brand of your client, consider a live event. Just don’t ask me to manage it (if you want it to be successful).

No comments:

Post a Comment