Thursday, June 26, 2014

The content marketing elevator story (or how to tell your mom what you really do for a living)


If you’re like me, you spend your day explaining to others what you do. At home or at work, most people just don’t understand Content Marketing. Of course, this joining of two nebulous terms (content and marketing) doesn’t help much, either.

So I thought I would share some of the ways I’ve explained it in hopes that it might help you…or at least give you a laugh. And, to make it fun, let’s do it in David Letterman Top Ten style (with apologies to Dave, of course).

Here we go…

So, you work in Content Marketing…what do you do again?

10. I’m a Content Strategist. Look it up.

9. I help brands tell their story — one cat video at a time.

8. I write in 140-character increments all day, trying to attract followers to our brand. In fact, this is actually 140 characters. The problem is I can’t stop. Send help.

7. I can make anything into an acronym at a moment’s notice.

6. I’ve noticed I’m starting to wear more orange to work. Hmmm.

5. You know that video the sales group did for their annual meeting that vaguely resembled The Price Is Right? Yeah, that wasn’t me.

4. I’m part writer, part producer, part psychologist.

3. Yes, I can help you tell your story. No, I can’t help you get a book deal.

2. I’m sorry, I’m afraid I can’t ‘put in a good word for you with Google.’

1. While traditional marketing is about telling people how you can help them, my job as a content marketer is just to help them.

No comments:

Post a Comment