Thursday, April 3, 2014

Sorry, Facebook, Twitter has become my morning paper


I don’t need to spend any time explaining why the morning paper itself is no longer my go-to source for news, right? Too hard to access. Doesn’t fit in my pocket. Just too late.

But now, despite Facebook’s Paper app efforts, I’m realizing I get all the news I need — in a nicely-customized to-my-interests-fashion, 140 characters at a time on Twitter.

It’s actually a perfect scenario when you think about it (and I wish I had thought about it before the Twitter people did). It’s a place where all the people I choose to listen to are talking about what’s important to them. In brief. With details if I want them and not if I don’t.

What’s not to love?

Well before the Paper app existed, I used to call Facebook my ‘paper’ because it was where all my friends were hanging out. But then I also had to watch other spaces for the news of the day. Not any more.

Twitter has quickly become the place news happens first. Updates are there more quickly. It’s a trusted source for me. An example? Okay. Just yesterday, some friends posted on Facebook (I do still go there for the local skinny) that the Malaysian plane had been found.

“Great!” I thought. So off to Twitter I went for the latest. Only thing is, nothing was there. Was I mad? Disappointed? Of course not, because I knew it must be a hoax (and, thanks to Twitter, I knew it before most of my FB friends).

For many of you in the social media and content marketing worlds, this news is no big surprise. You’re already there. But here’s the thing — we sometimes forget that we do this everyday, so we’re not the typical person. Much of the world still sees Twitter as a teenage thing or that thing celebrities use to announce their latest album.

This includes most of your customers.

Yes, Twitter is becoming the most trusted news source in the world. Now, how are you going to leverage that knowledge for your business or brand?

I know it’s got me thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment